By Lori Spensieri
The summer is a time of freedom, fun and frolicking, at least if you are a 6-year-old kid. As an adult there is an entirely different way to see things. The summer can be a time of looking for child-care, heat-related illness for the very young and the very old. Adults may worry about having money for a vacation during the summer months. The summer months are also riddled with weddings, BBQ’s, birthday parties, and so many other social outings. This can stressful for some, especially Moi!
My Summer…as a teacher
I am a full time high school teacher, therefor I do get about 8 weeks away from planning and marking. I do look forward to the summer months. By the time June comes around everyone is dying for a break. Here we are. I am dedicating this summer to the mastering of practices associated with positive psychology.
According to Martin Seligman, the founder of Positive Psychology, the definition is:
The 6 areas of psychology, according to Seligman include:
- Positive Emotion
***Click Here for an article by Psychology Today, that delves a little deeper into the concept of positive psychology.
Missing My Boys
It is ‘week two’ of being home with my little ones and I already find myself at a loss for how to keep these kids engaged and happy. I realized that I was becoming anxious about how to entertain these kids, every day for 8 weeks. I opted out of the camp things. It is an option and a great idea although I do have my reasons for not signing them up. I could write an entire blog about the benefits of summer camp but I miss my kids. That is the bottom line. All through the school year I miss them. They are at a school, in a classroom, being taught by an adult while I do the same thing with other peoples kids. I want to spend time with my boys.
Click here for an article from our sister site www.ehbepositive.com entitled ’10 Reasons it is great to have your kids home with you for the summer’. I will be reading this to remind myself as well, LOL.
Use Positive Psychology to Discover More Happiness
I want to show you how to use Positive Psychology in order to find more happiness in your life. After you consider a few factors, ask yourself a few questions and do a little soul searching you will be able to see how happiness comes from inside you.
Why Aren’t you Happy?
See this article previously posted here on 30 Days to Happy. It discussing some underlying reasons that you may be experiencing negative emotions.
Ask yourself each of the questions below. For each, If you can answer ‘YES’, give yourself one point. See the score below.
First things first,
Ask yourself these questions to see if you are already using positive psychology in your life to create a happier existence.
- Are you able to recognize your emotions when they occur?
- Are you able to label the triggers of your emotions, both positive and negative?
- Do you generally see the good side of a situation?
- Do you generally see the good in each person in your life?
- Are you able to recognize your own skills, abilities and achievements?
- Do you have a strong sense of will-power?
- Are you able to make good choices for your life?
- Do you find yourself in a state of FLOW?
- Do you practice Mindfulness and Meditation?
- Can you stay in the moment and enjoy everyday experiences?
- Do you surround yourself with people who raise you up and support you?
- Do you feel that you have something to offer others?
- Do you have meaningful relationships?
- Are you happy with your current relationship status?
- Are you able to easily forgive others?
- Do you have a well-development sense of spirituality?
- Do you have a clear idea of your beliefs?
- Are you aware of your purpose?
- Do any activities give you a sense of awe?
- Are you able to move on from adversity or trauma?
- Do you see yourself as someone with perseverance?
- Do you have a sense of intrinsic motivation? (self-motivation)
- Do you have goals that you are motivated to achieve?
- Are you able to visualize your goals and desires, with great detail?
- Do you have well-established healthy habits and rituals?
- Do you have stress management skills?
- Do you practice good nutrition?
- Do you get regular physical activity?
- Do you have a well-established sleep routine and good sleep habits?
- Do you pay attention to energy management within your body?
25 – 30 Points You have an excellent set of practices in place that work to create and maintain happiness in your life. Put some thought into the actions that you are taking, that
14-24 Points You have a good set of practices in place based on your score. Put some thought into what may be working for you, and perhaps what new practices you could add to your repertoire.
9-14 Points You have some positive practices in place although you will find more happiness if you add a few more positive habits. Try adding 1 practice this week and then another next week and so on.
4-8 Points You May have a couple of positive practices under your belt although you really need to make some positive changes quickly. You may be experiencing anxiety, stress,
3 Points or less You are not focused on the positive. You can be happier. You can make changes. You have to take control
Highest and Lowest Score Areas
- if you look at the area that you scored the highest – this will give you insite into your natural happiness habits. Maintain these practices.
- If you look at the area that you scored the lowest – a change in this area first will have the most impact on your mood and health.
Some Positive Habits to Add to Your Routine
Here is a graphic that gives you some examples of habits that you can add to your routine in order to practice positive psychology more effectively.
Check our these free printable resources.
We will focus more on each area of Positive Psychology but for now I hope that you have found this information interesting and valuable.
For more “30 Days to Happy” join our Facebook page.
For a bigger dose of Positivity join our Sister Facebook Page and Our Sister Facebook Group.
See our Pinterest Page by clicking her or on the link below.
Final Word of Thanks
Thank you for reading our little page. We aim to bring you high quality content, free of affiliate links or ads. We do not collect any money or payment of any kind. We created this website our of pure desire to see people becoming happier.
Our book is coming soon. It is be appropriately titled after the website. We will aim to continue to maintain the integrity of website, despite the release of said book.
Thank you again. Please visit often and please feel free to leave any comments, feedback, questions and suggestions.
Have a wonderful happy day!
**For more about the authors click here.**
** Click here for a short video**
Have a wonderful happy day!